Thursday, May 3, 2012

Well, I'm Not Dead Yet: Part 2

Just a quick note about my "book."  I wrote it really incoherently and acted like there were chapters before some chapters so that's why it might sound strange.*  So here we go ya'll, on to part 2.


Chapter 1: You Have to Start Somewhere
            We’d all like to say that we grew up as the kid down the street.  You know, the one who was good at sports, attractive, good in school, and volunteered at the animal shelter in their spare time.  You obviously must think that this fine description of a human being must have been me.  No?  Yeah, I don’t either. 

            Instead of Adonis child picture a gangly, lanky, glasses-wearing, recluse who was rather good at Pokémon in his basement, who also enjoyed sewing and cooking.  Now we’re getting somewhere in the ballpark.

            Try as my father did, I never excelled in sports (soccer mainly due to my Bolivian heritage) and was that nerdy quiet kid in school who the teachers loved and other kids associated with.  It definitely wasn’t much to start from, but at least it was something.

            Despite my obvious street cred, there were others who didn’t express joy in my general company which takes us to a warm spring day in 5th grade.

            Even though I had had my best friend move at least a state away from my city consecutively for the past five years (yes, five friends moved away from me in elementary school, can you say popular?) I had started to break out my hermit-like shell and try and make a new friend.  Like me, Joe** was gangly and awkward and generally speaking, it doesn’t take much to constitute friendship for 11 year olds.  We spent many a day looking at clouds or him playing basketball while I did the best I could to fake it.  What more could I ask for?  A trust fund, but at this time I wasn’t concerned with such things.  What I got instead was the baggage that came along with my new friend. 

            Since I was now at a New Elementary school (the previous had been closed and turned into a deaf and blind school) I was easy prey for those with low self-esteem.  Joseph had been attending this school from the beginning of his education meaning he the other kids and had previous friends.  One in particular was Sam.  Maybe it was my large Harry Potter-like glasses or my obvious disinterest and lack of talent at sports that enticed him to choose me as his personal entertainment, I’ll really never know.  What I did know was that Sam did not like me and due to some cosmic joke, he and Joe were rather good friends.

            Well one day as I usually did on a lot of school days, I invited Joe over to my house to “hang-out” since cool kids “hung-out,” they didn’t “play.” 

“Hey is it all right if Sam comes with me?” He said on the phone when I called.

“Oh…yeah sure, why not?” I replied, probably some small twinge of terror/death in my voice.

How could my best friend be bringing my worst enemy to my house?  I’d just have to deal with it I figured. 

Some minutes passed as I awaited their arrival until I finally heard the doorbell ring.  I turned the door, saw both their faces, pushed the screen door open and was then suddenly pelted in the face.  I sat there confused as I saw a little piece of my paper fall to the ground and my friend and nemesis running away laughing.  “What just happened?” I thought to myself and then decided to open the paper on the ground.  In crude 11 year old writing was one word scribbled hastily:

LOSER

*To clarify: I jump around with the chapter numbers since I felt like that's where they'd be in the book if I actually wrote a book.  This is chapter 1.  I felt like it should have been first, so it is.  One thing that frustrated one reader of my story was also how it abruptly ended a lot.  Explanation for that: It's more like a preview of a book than an actual book.  I couldn't just keep writing forever people, loosen your choker necklaces.  What?  No one wears those anymore?  Oh, that was the 90's you say... *rolls into the street*
**I've changed the names from my original story just in case you might actually know these people.  I think it's a common courtesy.

No comments:

Post a Comment