Monday, November 14, 2011

Meat Trucks, Fur Coats, Water Polo--Colorado

So I recently did something that was completely out of my comfort zone and completely spontaneous.  Usually, I'm the type of person that overthinks everything and takes a long, looong time to decide.  But there are occasionally those times when I decide to be crazy and do something out of the ordinary, and sometimes, sometimes, they lead to great opportunities in my life.

Wednesday night, I was bored, done with homework and looking for something to do.  Deciding that I couldn't sit on my floor and watch any more 30 Rock on Netflix when I got home, I texted a friend asking if anyone was going to play water polo sometime during the week. "Hey! We're going to practice at 5 today, come!" was his response.  *sigh* I had just walked out of the gym (it was 4 o'clock) and my legs were killing me.  Well, I asked, so I was going to go.

I was definitely a tad rusty, but practice was fine and I got my treading legs back in the water.  Of course, after practice, my new water polo mates asked me if I'd like to join them on Saturday in going to Colorado to play in a small tournament.  After much deliberating that went something like: "I really am not good enough to play at a college level, even a small college level to play in a tournament, I'll just embarrass myself.  But water polo is FUN, you have so much fun when you play! DO IT! GOOOOOO.  NO, don't go, you'll look like a loser!"  Well, on Friday night, after a couple texts from other kids, I decided to give in and go.  After all, even if I was a total failure in the pool, I could at least have some fun.  Commence traveling music...

Instead of going to bed at a normal hour like a normal person on the day of the trip, I stayed up with this kid eating del taco and watching 30 Rock.  Imagine me going to bed at 2 in the morning, then waking up at 5:50 to meet up with the other players.  Needless to say, I was a zombie who "slept" (if you can call bumping around in a van for 5 hours sleep) the whole way there.  I woke up occasionally to eat pop tarts and adjust my position but that was about it.

First, can I talk about Colorado?  Most of it resembles southern Utah in the sense that THERE IS NOTHING ANYWHERE, and the other parts resemble post-apocalyptic zombie towns.  Maybe it's because I've been watching The Walking Dead, but these towns looked deserted and the sky was so sad and bleak.  I wouldn't have been surprised if a zombie walked up to our car.

Our first gas stop was the first time I moved since getting in the car and this is where I saw some of the most wonderful/horrifying things in my life.  Walking around the rural gas station, which was passed by people on dirt bikes and had a melon stand nearby, I spotted a man.

Now, I'm usually good about staring at people, but just pictures this kids.  Bleach blonde hair stuck straight up, black pants, and a large fur coat that had a collar that extended past his neck.  When I saw fur coat, I mean a FUR COAT.  This thing was thick and look like it had recently been skinned off of Sasquatch, if Sasquatch had a nice light brown pelt.  It was the most interesting combo of clothes I had seen in a long while.  To top all this off, as I was sitting in the van again waiting for the gas to finish filling up, I saw our fur man getting into his white sports car.  His passenger: Two skeletons.  Obviously the bones of his last two victims.

Well, here's where the horrifying comes in.  Still waiting for the gas, a truck drove up and parked in front of our lovely little gas station.  What I saw made me gag and cry a little.  Inside the bed of the truck, uncovered, was the ribs and other body parts of Bambi and his extended family.  This wasn't a small pile of death, this pile was piled higher than the truck itself.  They had cleaned out the forest.  Poor Bambi...never saw it coming.

After our gas station of interesting people, the trip went rather smoothly.  We arrived at the pool, got dressed, warmed up, and played some water polo.  Getting back in the pool really made me realize how much I miss this violent sport.  These kids were much more aggressive than any kids I had played in high school and they were mean.  Of course, this makes the game even better.  We played a total of three games, the first two being SUU against Colorado Mesa University, and the last game being a mixed game with everyone put together on two teams playing against each other.  Needless to say, I was rusty, and by the end of the second game, I was a little bit done playing, so the third game I mostly slacked off since it didn't really matter (and we had won the first two games, woot!).  We were supposed to play a team from Wyoming, but unfortunately, they couldn't come due to traveling restrictions or something.  By the end of this, I emerged with 3 new scratches on my left forearm and a hunger for ANYTHING.  I could have eaten a live cow and two Bambis.

After changing back into normal clothes (I also left my speedo in the locker room by the way, sad day for him, he was so young), some members from the other team and our team went to a local pub and job some delicious food.  I do have to say that it's nice when kids you compete against don't hate you just because you were competition, cause these kids were completely normal.

Well commence driving music again kids.  Back in the car we went and drive drive drive back to Cedar City. We got home around 11:15pm where I thought I would surely pass out, but instead I stayed up until 2 again.  I blame this on all the car "sleep."

End Trip

Sorry this post was a little wordy and long and mostly just description, but I'm just writing it out because it made me happy.  I made new friends, I did something I loved, and it was one of those situations where I did something spontaneous, and the results were good.

I'm going to brag for just a second before I post this, but I got my economics test back today.  85%?  95%?  NO.  I got a big whopping ol' 115%!  Take that college!  I beat you at your own game and slaughtered your test with my superior knowledge.  Gloating session over.

Band of note:  Camera Obscura and any Ella Fitzgerald.

No comments:

Post a Comment