Saturday, October 26, 2013

Egg

This morning I had to catch a taxi to the airport. I headed out of my apartment pretty early to sit on the empty streets waiting for an empty taxi to drive by. The first one some strangers stole from me, but I caught another one as it was crossing the intersection.

Whenever I need to use certain Chinese words, I always make sure to look them up before whatever situation I'll be in. I then repeat the words over and over in my head and out loud. This way, I can anticipate the question and give my rehearsed answer. I know it's not much for learning a language, but it's coming along.

Today, the word was 'airport.' All I had to say to the driver was that I needed to go to the airport. The day before this though, I had been practicing a few other words.

"Where are you going?" the taxi driver asked.

"Zhengzhou egg."

"..."

"Egg. Egg."

"Do you mean airport?"

I looked down at my small pocket dictionary and then held it up to show him the character.

"Airport," he said.

I looked back down again. Sure enough, I had been trying so hard to remember the word that I spit out the first similar word that I knew. Egg.

"Yes, airport," I said.

China: 150 points. Ryan: 0

You win this time, China.

No comments:

Post a Comment