Monday, April 9, 2012

Noah's Ark of the Internet: 40 Days and Nights of Normality

Wai-wait...where am I?  How did I get here?

What is this endless space of sarcasm, snarky jokes, and cats just floating around in endless space?  The In-ter-net you say?...what?  What wizardry is this?  I say we find whatever witch created this and burn them!  BURN THEM!

...so fortunately I haven't regressed that much in the span of 40 days.  Although, I do enjoy a good witch burning in my backyard every now and then.  Keeps my crops from failing.  I call it "yardwork" *

The first part of my social network cleanse was...interesting.  Sweating, vomiting, nausea, hallucinations; I stayed up for days rocking back and forth in my bed whispering things to myself like: "Science cat...where is science cat!" "Must look at cartoons with witty puns! Please, just one!"  "I wonder what day it is..." (I actually just say that one all the time).  I would accost people on the street asking them for just a glimpse of their twitter feed or if they even had one.  Just one tweet, I'd be good after one, I promised.  Rejected by society, I just ran home to fill the void in my soul with honey bunches of oats.

I'm pretty sure I saw cats and unicorns climbing around my room and shooting lasers out of their eyes...wait, that's a normal Tuesday night.

After laying in my own filth for a couple of days, the shuddering stopped and I could see straight again.  I had done it, I had distanced myself from my dealer and come out on the other side scarred, but alive.

I kid, I kid.  Being completely honest in a completely non-sarcastic tone (hard for me, I know), turning my back on social networking was altogether a rather easy and good experience.  The first couple days I did almost slip up a couple times when I'd go into autopilot and hop down onto my lappy, start ticking away a website, and then scream and throw my computer onto the floor into a million pieces like it was Shelob.** But after that, I realized it was something that didn't bother me.  Only occasionally in the back of my mind some thought would arise as to "what was happenin'" but I easily could remind myself I was alive without it.

I was still doing well in school (if not better), reading more books than I had before (to keep up with my New Years goal), making real meals, going outside and seeing that bright round thing in the sky, and sitting in the same clothes I had worn the day before listening to Rihanna full blast.  My mind was even a little less cluttered with useless info.  Dang, I really need to get on my laundry.

What I'll say (as I've also stated in various ways before) is that this is my opinion in the matter of what I learned:

Social networking, ie: Facebook, twitter, tumblr, etc. are not the evil things themselves.  The misuse and overuse of them is the detrimental thing in our society (our society being the typical American teenager/young adult).  Instead of ruling our lives, they should only be a supplement to how we are living.  Like nutrition, you can't live only off of vitamins and candy, eventually you have to eat something with sustenance.  I'm really glad I participated in Lent and would even go as far as to recommend it to you, dear reader, to participate in some year if you feel the need to get a new perspective.

So go slaughter and grill that metaphorical cow, climb that real mountain, and make yourself a nice thick chocolate milkshake.  No really, make a milkshake, you look like you could use one.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some yardwork to do...

Oh yes, I'll see about putting up the Lent diaries at all since looking at them now, I don't know how I feel about them.  We'll see.



*That was for you (you know how you are. You stole my milk).
**Totally making an LOTR reference in case you weren't aware.

No comments:

Post a Comment