Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Welcome to Hong Kong

I'm alive! Even part of me doubted my passport to be real and that the US would just try and deport me somewhere else. "I swear! I'm American!" "Whatever you passport making fiend!" 

Then I get thrown into jail for eternity and just cry.

But no, I actually was able to navigate through 2 airports and get at least 3 hours of sleep on that 14 hour plane ride. That means that currently I'm scaring natives and other travelers with my smell and general appearance of a zombie--a tall brown zombie. I really can't complain though since the flight had all the necessities provided including the man who sits next to you with his legs splayed into your seat area. Some kind of odd, trans-pacific game of footsie. 

Now I get to play the waiting game. While I did come into HK with a traveling buddy, I am now on my own to get myself to my destination (Zhengzhou) and not fall off a plane or something. Only within the past 5 minutes did I actually find my gate for departure since it had not been posted so I did what any American would do when faced with a sea of strangers:

 I walked around with purpose while not actually going anywhere. Sitting at one gate for long enough makes it appear that I'm going to wherever everyone else there is going to. I'd couple this with wearing headphones (with no actual music playing) and walking up and down the airport looking at shops with the "intent" to buy something. Of course, I had already eaten and didn't really have any desire to invest in large bright t-shirts that had words like "swagg" and "YOLO" displayed on them.

I think to some, I just looked like a very lost foreigner who, beyond reason, had actually made it into their airport. But I showed them somehow. By somehow, I mean that I arrived at my gate two hours early and get up every 5 minutes to go and double check if it actually is the right gate.

             Exactly how I don't feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment