Monday, June 10, 2013

Just In Case...

I get in my plane in several hours and I have only just finished packing. Part of this is due to my terrible habits of procrastination ("Well I still have one day, come on.") and part of this is due to my Boy Scout senses kicking in. Over preparedness. The weird thing is this usually only happens when I'm packing. My mind goes into overdrive and when I pack for weekend trips, it looks like I'm preparing for the zombie apocalypse.

Despite the fact that this trip is a little different (3 days<6 months), I've been trying to pack very little so that the bag people don't freak and throw me off the plane mid-flight. I've packed and unpacked and re-packed my bag because this is usually the inner monologue occurs:

Hmm...but I definitely need to bring this pair of shoes because of what if there is a weather catastrophe I'll need to trudge through 4 feet of snow. Ok, next we have this shirt...well, if the plane decides to take a pit stop in the middle of the ocean, then I'll have this extra shirt to make into lodging on the deserted island I'll be staying on.
I knew I should have
packed the inflatable raft...

*unpack, repack*

 Swimming suit! Swimming suit you idiot, how could you forget in case you need to go down that inflatable slide on the plane into the water (full of sharks). Well, I might as well bring these other 100 shirts in case my apartment floods and everything will be destroyed. No...just 50, that seems right.

*unpack, repack*

You know, if I don't bring these extra shorts, an earthquake is going to happen and then I'll be pant-less in the middle of an earthquake (what a faux pas). Ryan, you need to bring those pants that are too big for you, you're going to get really fat. That reminds myself, the small ones too. Knowing you, some monkey will bite you and you'll get a fever and get skinny and THEN what will you wear.

*unpack, repack*

This has been going on for three days. I hope I'm not the only one. Knowing myself though, I'll get to China only to discover I left my suitcase in Utah.




No comments:

Post a Comment