Saturday, November 3, 2012

Tis The Season For Excuses

Fa la la la laaaa, la la. la. LA.

(In case you didn't get it, you were supposed to sing that to yourself. Getting in the holiday spirit is so FUN.)

Anyways guys, so the external hard-drive that I hook up to my lappy and contains every episode of How I Met Your Mother has decided to go on the fritz and not work. So you know what that means?! Yup, I'm totally eating in bed and crying. But you know, it's probably for the better. Kind of like the hard-drive is having a small intervention with me: "Ryan, you need to stop watching all these episodes of HIMYM and read a book, or at least wash your hair today." "No hard-drive! You can't make me!"

Seriously guys, I think I saw him filling out forms for rehab. Shit is getting real.

But do you know what I purchased at the grocery store two days ago? EGG NOG. That's right; the creamy, eggy, yellowy, fatty goodness that is egg nog has been delivered by the Nog Gods to once again grace the fridges of our grocery stores.

THE NOG

So of course you guys know what this means.

Yes, it's already empty and I'm licking the inside of the carton.

Oh, and that and the holidays are fast approaching.

I always found that instead of listening for Christmas music on the radio, I could just start to look for the Holiday food that starts to appear. The pumpkin flavored everything, packages beginning to adorn holiday themed decorations, hams as big as your crushed dreams, and of course, the egg nog.

This time always signals that time when I can start to wear all the sweaters I crave to wear all year since the temperature drops to below the love of your in-laws. Sweaters obviously carry the other holidays in with them as well.
An essential for all
holiday parties.

Let's see, we have Halloween (check), Thanksgiving, and Christmas. And for all you other people, Christmahanaquanzaka. All of which are filled with sweaters food! Oh, and social interaction*.

Honestly, I'm a little excited. This time of the year is usually my favorite since I find that the city seems to quiet down a little and that "holiday season bug" bites everyone and they force themselves to be nicer. I mean, even I crawl out of my cave, don a sweater, and attend a holiday party or two. But so help me if there is no food, I will light your house on fire. Only because I'm warning everyone not to come.

But you know what else these cold holidays remind me of? All the damn excuses I make for myself for everything I do.

Oh you don't have school today? Let's get out of bed at...NOON

You know, you only had three doughnuts yesterday, so two is an improvement. For lunch anyways.

Well, since all your other clothes are dirty, you obviously can't go out...NETFLIX!

As the snow starts to fall, so does my activity level and we all know that in Utah it's usually everywhere by now. I guess for some reason mother nature wants me to keep focusing on getting out of bed and making it to class instead of being a blanket burrito with my cat.

Which reminds me of all the resolutions I made that fell through. Technically I still have two months to try and get my shit together, but we all know that after the first week, we're all done for. Honestly, I wonder how many people actually follow through on all their resolutions. Guess what? Through the magic of the internet, a few clicks, and some typing, I discovered that over 80% of all people fall through on their resolutions. Guys, I got this from the internet, it must be true.

You know, what is it about this turkey season and wreath door hanging-ness make us all want to try and change ourselves and put ourselves in positions we usually can't follow through with? I don't see anyone on President's day peeing on the floor with excitement about how they are going to change their life. So of course we then justify our actions with, say it with me kids, wonderful wonderful excuses.

It's coming you guys...it's coming...
Big excuses! Small excuses! On sale excuses! Excuses that don't even make sense! Get them on SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY...

Ok, I think I might have gotten a little carried away, but I know that I do the same thing.

"Eh, I didn't have time to read a book, my cat looked really hungry today and needed attention."

"You know, I would have gone running more if the temperature had been between 69 degrees and 74 degress. Any more or less and I just can't make it."

"The internet."

Hm, well maybe the last one is real...

So I'm excited you guys. Excited for whatever excuses I give myself this year. Excited for the pumpkin nog and ham goodness flowing out your doors. Excited for the extremely nightmare-invoking inflatable snowmen in your yard (no one thinks they're adorable, give it up Cindy from accounting).

Even excited for the social interac--asd;lkfja;lkfds g;lkjfssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

...ugh, sorry guys, I had a small seizure and passed out. We'll work on that one.

Bring it on winter.




*Did any of you hear the audible twitch from me as I wrote that. Social Interaction. There it is again. I promise it's not your cat throwing up, listen closer. Closer. There it is, you got it.

No comments:

Post a Comment