Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Rediscovery

Within the past month or so, I've been finding myself looking back on my life.  Not a very serious soul searching journey, but mostly things that I enjoyed earlier on.  I've come across music, games, activities, just silly little things that give me a strange enjoyment.  

First, I'd have to say I've found some music recently that I hadn't listened to in a long time.  Mainly it's the artist that is Feist.  I'd say a good 3 years ago, I got the album The Reminder.  Mostly because I had liked the song 1,2,3,4 that I'm sure mostly everyone has heard.  If not I'll stick it in here since it's still a good song.  Well, after buying the album, I probably listened to it a couple of times, downloaded it onto my computer, and eventually forgot about it all together.  Now back to the present.  My brother recently returned from his mission, and as such went through our computer to find all of his old music that he wanted to listen to.  I was pretty surprised by how much old stuff was on the computer so it got me thinking about what I had missed out on.  So, searching the old iTunes library, I found the wonderful album that I had forgot about and not fully appreciated at the time.  Putting it on my iPod now, I listen to it multiple times a day and love it.  Mostly because I love her voice, her beautiful pure voice singing out.  It's the kind of album that just relaxes your body and soul and makes your day just a little bit brighter. In fact, I'm listening to it right now. I will definitely keep it around for a while now.




Now what could be better to start up again than something from my elementary school days (which my friends joke weren't that long ago) than one of my great childhood marvels.  Pokemon.  This will probably be a big geek out entry-nay, it is a geek out entry.  When I was younger, so much younger than today, I played Pokemon probably a good 4 or 5 days a week. What made me more of a nerd is that I played the video game for Gameboy and also the trading cards.  Yup, ultimate nerd right there.  When I wasn't trading cards with kids at school, I was catching wild Pokemon and battling gym leaders.  So, of course being bored when the summer began, I whipped my gameboy with my good old Pokemon.  It wasn't too hard to get back into the flow of the game and become a Pokemon master.  Then, about a week or so ago, my friend invited me to battle him with Pokemon cards.  To my surprise, my friends had turned out to be just as nerdy as I am.  Seeing the wonderful opportunity to geek out, I pulled out my old Pokemon cards (yes, still sitting in my closet with the nice cards in individual cases) and assembled a deck with which to do battle.  I realize at this point I sound a super nerd.  I'm also not sure if I can deny it either.  Part of my strange obsession might be the accompanying nostalgia that comes along with finding my old cards.  Part of it might also be that I simply just enjoy it.  It's just that weird crazy part of me.

What would my life be without books?  I assume that it would be very different, but one piece of literature, using literature lightly of course, would be Calvin and Hobbes.  After going through my bookshelf one day, I pulled out one of my old Calvin and Hobbes comic books.  If there is any kind of comic that can make me laugh, it's Calvin and Hobbes.  Calvin's adult-like intelligence, cynicism, and wild imagination make every joke wonderful to read.  Not to mention the wonderful renderings of each story.  Every small thing beautifully drawn and colored.  It's the type of comic that brings out the child in anyone and visit the imagination that slumbers inside of them.  

Of course, now I have to look to the future.  With my life being a whole lot of decisions lately, I should probably focus on what my decisions will be.  Never hurts enjoy some parts of life though.

No comments:

Post a Comment