Thursday, March 12, 2015

I'm An Enabler

I usually refrain from every writing about my job (because we all know how touchy the customer service industry is), but this time I thought I would share with you because who needs a job!

Not to mention, I will be fine this time because it's at my separate job and I'm hoping the internet is a dark and deep enough place that most of these thoughts will never see the light of day.

ANYWAYS.

I work at a coffee shop part time which entails me (Surprise!) making coffee and other assorted hot drinks for people. It's actually a very enjoyable job and can we discuss how impossible coffee art is? Super impossible. So far, I've made a smiley face, a "cactus," a teeny tiny leaf, and an abstract painting of a man. At least, I think it was a man...

Every day we have our regulars, who usually drink some form of "bad-ass" coffee*, the people who come in to use our wifi, and the random other people who could use a nice drink. I am the enabler who will give them what they want.

I heard our drive through window ding the other day and opened it to greet a blonde woman, possibly late fifties, who looked like she had seen a better day.

Ryan: Hey! How are you today?

Woman: Oh...not so good. The dentist just gave me some news that wasn't so great.

Ryan: Well...that's not amazing. Uh...what can I get you?

Woman: Well, how much sugar does the soy milk have?

Ryan: *Checking the soy milk nutrition facts* It has...6 grams per serving.

Woman: That's not that bad...Hmmm...Ok, I'll get a soy chai latte with two shots of espresso and caramel sauce.

Ryan: *Slightly taken aback* OK, so that's a soy chai latte with two shots and caramel?

Woman: Yes.

Ryan: OK! Coming right out!




*I like calling it that because it's some variation on the blackest of black coffee that will burn your insides and grow at least 10 hairs on your chest. They are bad-asses.

No comments:

Post a Comment