Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Pseudo-parenthood, Part 2

Stella and Steve have left our presence. After chewing on multiple items of clothing and basically anything in sight, paired with multiple escapes (probably coordinated by Steve), we were over owning rats. I know, I know--we only had them for about a week, BUT THEY WOULDN'T LOVE US. Yes, I mean to say that crawling over my body with little rat feet isn't love.

How did we fill this void? With a guinea pig of course. Yes, on our trip to return our small rat "friends," we happened upon the small tank that held three little guinea pigs. Three little fluff balls making tiny guinea pig noises that kind of sounded like a wave machine, but with more guinea pig. It was like a two-in-one bargain!

"I like the brown one, because it's a loner." I said to Beth.

It was true. Our little spotted guinea friend didn't play with the other two orange-spotted pigs and kind of just moseyed around the tank and looking for something else to do.

"I think that's why I like him too." said Beth.

With that, we chased our new friend around the tank until we were able to successfully catch her in a cardboard box. Her name is Wallace and she will love us.

Wallace took kindly to her new home by not moving or doing anything in particular. She actually resembled a guinea statue until I tried to touch her where she would turn into a small race horse to escape my grasp. Things I did not know: Guinea pigs are faster than you think.

"Wallace likes to nibble." Beth sent me in a text the next day.

"Wallace bit me." I sent back later that day. It turns out that screaming, "LOVE ME!" while holding out your hands to catch an escaping guinea pig doesn't actually make them warm up to you faster.

Here's to our second chance at pseudo-parenthood. Because guinea pigs can't fit through small bars...and neither can children.

No comments:

Post a Comment